Sunday, August 4, 2013

GCP Tour 03/08/13

been waiting for this time of year for well, er, uh, a year . . . when the whether becomes Texas-like, the greens dry-up and speed-up, and the air gets thinner . . . without belabouring the points, there were these points of interest . . . 
TWICE on the same hole (twice around 9 holes) on #3/#12, a downhill par 3, my identical 9 irons had identical results, plugging just short of the green, instead of bouncing up on the green pin high . . . up-and-down for par, both times, once with a good 12ft putt, and once with a good chip that left a kickin par putt.

2nd time around on #4 the monster par 4, my drive flared right, but past the trees that can put you in jail . . . my 2nd shot 6 iron off a downhill lie in the rough cleared the 1st hole green mountain that blocks off that right side of #4 and left me 160m to the green. Hit a career 4iron, the highest, most majestic, and STRAIGHT to this position -- having already birdied #8 the first time around I am fanging for this birdie, but left it short . . . right in the heart, but short . . .1 of 5 such putts on the back 9, which in addition to 2 lipouts and 2 3-putt-doublebogeys, accounts for my results, even when I was playing so well . . . 

finished 3rd, with 39 stableford points, resulting in a HCP drop to 13.8 from 14.7 . . . jeebus . . . how'm I gonna play to 13.8? 1st & 2nd were two young flatbellies with single digit handicaps, one finished at 40 stableford points and second at 39, beating me in a scorecard playoff . . . 
that makes 3 3rds and a 4th finish this golf season. But I was very pleased with my prizes, these handmade bohemian crystal wine goblets, a free round at Black-White course in Bratislava, and a cute trophy.

since I had planned to win, I had already titled in my own mind this blog entry as Krale Srpen, the King of August (since 2 years ago I won 3 of 4 tournaments I entered in August), sort of like Jim Morrison was the Serpent King, but since I didn't win, yet, I will demur, for now . . .