Monday, July 18, 2016

Penati (SK) Heritage by Jonathan Davison

6230m, Par 72, Slope 147, by Jonathan Davison
5687m, Par 72, Slope 143 (Yellow Tees)






 #1, Par 4
When we saw the tall rough, we knew it was going to be tough, but we were still confident . . .

 #2 Par 4
but seeing a tree in the middle of #2 tee shot kinda did worry us . . . 


 #3 Par 5
I was getting some amazing action on my balls, like I would hit it with a big fade, from unfamiliarity with the rental clubs, then the ball would knuckle in mid air and hook instead . . . 
I mean I *think* they were not out-of-round, but they been in a garage in AZ for god-knows-how-long . . . I didn't think they would last long . . . i had no idea where any shot would go

 #4 Par 3


 I do love the callaway clubs they had for loan . . . but i kept puree-ing my irons over the green .  . which is as bad as mis-hitting them . . . 
 #5 par 4
 #6 Par 4
despite the flat -seeming layout of the course, there were plenty of uneven lies and tough approaches . . . 



 #7 Par 3


 #8 Par 4
a good case in point . . . 
basically, you can hit all you got for the tee shot . . .
 but then -- and i wish i had a photo of the green, which was on a narrow strip of land, a peninsular build-out that seemed really hard to hold from the fairway . . . both of us bounced on and over, KiwiMike out into the marsh, and me into some muddy grass-not-quite-casual-water-enough to take a drop -- tough, ugly, hole from the duffer's POV, if you see how I mean . . . 
 #9 Par 5
the Yellow tees were so far out of line with the fairway, so that you had to hit over that water, that we almost could not find them

 I popped up my drive, then hammered a 5iron, cutting off more corner than I conceptually dared, then came up short on my approach, and did not get up and down, while KiwiMike matter-of-factly got his par.
 #10 Par 4


 11 par 5
 I don't remember what happened . . . I might have blacked out a little on #11, but we both had 8s.
 #12 Par 3
 This is what passes for a breather hole . . .a short par 3 on a bald turtleback surrounded by deep bunkers . . .

 #13 Par 4
 Possibly the most interesting hole on the course . . . I think, in retrospect, you just have to challenge that bunker and drive over it .  .  . any "safe shot" into the fairway just runs off into the left rough, as KiwiMike found out . . . I mis-hit a 3wood taken for stratergy reasons, into the bunker, yielding in the end, the score we refer to as "Other" . . . 
 #14 Par 3
This par 3 was really attractive, but I guess my angst from hole #13 caused me not only to forget my photos, but to bungle the tee shot, the recovery shot, the pitch shot, and 3 putts, too. . . 8^( . . . 
#15 par 4


 #16 Par 4


 #17 Par 5
Had a lip-out birdie attempt on #17 (from 40+ ft) . . . but I felt I had finally gotten used to my borrowed putter -- a ladies model so short I had to stoop over even more than usual . . . 
 #18 Par 4




Scores D/M:
Raw: 91/108
Net: 83/86
Stableford: 26/23
Bisques: 9/6