Saturday, March 9, 2019

MY Eagle # 5 on Scot Schreiner # 1, Kerrville


yes, it's only 477 from the whites, 
but there was wind in our face, 
gusting up to 3-club wind. 

I hit one of my patented wind-cheater drives, 
maybe 30 ft up in the air was all, 
with just a touch of fade 
to fight against the wind 
quartering against us from the right . . . 
I'd guess 260 with the roll down a couple of tiers, 
next to the giant old native pecan tree 
that guards the inside of the dogleg . . . 
those trees are common on this course -- 
bushy as shrubs, 
you got to go around, over, or under 'em, you can't go thru 'em. . . 

then off a down-hill, side-hill, hanging lie, 
busted my 7wood, pushed just a smidge, 
but my natural-hook, hook-lie, hook-wind 
all guided it away from the copse of trees 
that guard the green on the right, 
so that my ball rolled all the away across the green, 
front-to-back, 
to 15 ft from the back pin,
just off the fringe in the patchy rough
between two mounds.

I could see the line like it was stenciled in the grass,
it broke 3 feet left-to-right
then swerved back left at the cup
-- nothing but cup --    
i didn't make another putt all day
7 3-jacks, plus another 2 missed-birdies
 so here is the latest tally,
with my marker, Mr Science still setting the pace.

i *say* that my only goal in life left now is to shoot my age,
but an albatross would be nice, too.
but as i also say,
i thought trying for more eagles would get me more birdies,
but instead i get more double-bogeys . . . 
i'm not sure what would happen 
if i tried for albatrossi . . . 8^D . . .