Friday, June 17, 2011

Nove Amerika - Maple Hills

Maple Hills is distinguished from the other two 9s by water, I was told. It's the shortest 9, but arguably, the hardest . . . If the whole 9 was like this first hole tee shot, it would be awesome, like my old home course Walden on Lake Conroe . . . didn't bother me, I just hit a baby hook up just short of the trap on the left.


it was so wide open in the fairway, that I freaked out and pull-hooked my fairway wood into the next fairway . . . then I tried to baby my wedge into the downhill, slopes-the-wrong-way green and came up short, just barely not in the bigbunker that lines the fairway , , , so natcherly, my chip ran over the green, from where I did NOT get up and down, tho'it oughtta been simple. ... double bogey.























#2 is a short par 4, I don't remember much about. If I didn't have this picture I wouldn't remember my missed birdie.

















Oh, water, Oh yeah . . .  pretty intimidating looking par 3 #3. I had a problem lately with a flying elbow that makes me hook the holy foecal matter out of my shot -- certainly not performance anxiety! -- right over the trees on the left. . . chopped the ball out of the tall rough to makeable distance, but missed . . . I'd hit a second ball, careful with my elbow, from the tee, and wound up slicing to the far right side of the green . . . I 3putted from there, so 4 is my score on this hole, no matter what.
























The architect does his tees the way I've done my tees in my JN6 golf game . . . I was pleased to see how nice they look in real life.


#4 is another short par 4 . . . I placed my drive perfectly down the middle, between the traps, and I tho't I might drive the green, but I wound up 50m short.






















but, I babied the half-wedge too much and came up short (these greens were very fast, but soft enough to receive a shot well, but if you land short, the fairway is hard, and you can get a BIG bounce . . . then I bladed a chip 12 ft past the hole and two-putted -- I count that as a 3 putt bogey.























The par 3 #5 seemed much more uphill than it looks here, and surrounded by a sea of sand, by the time I did the math, I was hitting a full 7wood, in which I have great confidence, but I got the flying elbow and hit a high hook that came down in the trees just left of the green, pin high.



















my ball was in a leaf pile in a shallow gulley between the green and the cart path, so I hadda chunk a couple of chips to get to the green, and a rare 2putt for a 5
. . . 8^/ . . . 























the par 5 #6 is the #1 handicap hole, 566m long . . . the bugger for this 9 . . . It was all dense woods down the left side, so I aimed right and sub-consciously compensated with a hook just past the woods into a cut-out gap of high rough . . . I hit another ball here in exasperation and it went into the woods, 10 yds shorter. . . so I chopped my first ball out with a 5iron onto the short grass, then flaired a 7iron 50 ft from the pin, 3putt bogey . . . wisht I could re-play that hole.

























#7 is another par 5, all uphill . . . conscious of my flying elbow, I took care to slice it into the tall rough on the right, behind another set of trees that forced me just to take a safety back into the fairway...
hooked another fairway wood back into the tall rough, so that it took two more wedges and a chip to reach the green, followed by a standard 3putt for a snowman.
















































#8 is a short downhill par 4, bordered on the left, not by the trees, but a beautiful field of yellow flowers, that look like some commercial crop, but I can't say what. I brought out the flying elbow again and could see my ball bouncing along the edge of the flowers . . . I tho't it might be OB so I hit another that took one big bounce into the flowers... another demonstration that wherever I'm gonna hit it, I'm gonna hit it, no matter how many shots I hit . . .  so I trudged down there to look for my balls . . . I didn't walk in the flowers, just back and forth in front of ém . . . I found my first ball, in bounds, past the big trap . . . 8^) . . . so I lobbed a half wedge short of the green and let it release to the pin . . . and I tho't this would be a birdie for sure, no matter how bad I putt . . . but it wasn't . . . these were  fast bent grass greens, but they didn't roll true, seemed awfully grainy. . . either I sliced the holy bejezus out of that flat little 4footer, or the grain made it take an unbelievable turn, it didn't even hit the hole . . . tap-in par. 




















#9 is a mid-length par 3, kind of odd-design, layout wise. . . .sort of downhill, so that the green is invisible against the trees up there, but it definitely looks like trouble, similar to several greens on the Woodland 9, so I tried a 6 iron that would (I hoped) bounce on and stay . . . right theory, poor execution . . . I wound up in a bunker left of the green . . . splashing out, I still didn't allow enough room for the roll-out since the green is so steep going away from the tee (again) that the ball rolled off the green into the fringe . . . standard 3putt from there . . . shudder ...