Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ber'ovice, Slany, CZ, Back 9

#10 requires a climb up a hill, just to get to the tee . . . 8^) . . . then some more hill climbing to play the hole . . . tough . . .
#11 is not so bad, you get to come back down the hill on the other side of the lake.
#12, 162 m on the card, but slightly uphill . . . I hit a half 7wood to make sure I got there against the wind . . .ugly low slice, like we do it  in scotland, laddie . . .
#13 is a welcome par 5 . . . smashed a drive that the wind just beat down.
smashed a fairway wood that suffered a similar fate.
stopped to look at this tiny snake in the fairway my companions viewed with respect.
Dangerous! A yellow triangle on each side of its head. You have been warned.
flew my short iron out of the rough into the back of the green. 3 putt, I assume.
The course is adorned with these unusual, unique features, small, shallow grassbunkers, with close-cropped rough in circular shapes in the fairway . . . they're not really an obstacle, except in an uneven lie kinduva way . . . me, I LIKE a fluffy lie, if my ball tees up for me . . . 8^) . . . my companions said they are called kolkols, for the architect, who I couldn't find on the internet . . . Kolkolnik (?)
you can see on the hole diagram how these kolkols are introduced intentionally into the landing zones.
#15 I don't remember much about . . . striking the ball well, but floundering . . . if you've ever experienced that . . .
#16 is a classic island green par 3 . . .not so long, but the #5 handicap hole . . .  did have a left to right wind this day that may explain that . . . 8^) . . .
Camera foul up...
no pix of 17 & 18 . . . 17  I don't remember, but 18 . . . is an awesome par5 finishing hole . . . drive right of the straight line to the hole forced because of a grassy hill & bunkers, then hit down into the throat of a tight landing area squeezed between the hill and some bunkers backed up by a creek area . . . so naturally I tried to club it over the bunkers on the inside of the dogleg and got caught up in the tall grass above the traps. tried then to play it smart with a 5iron to wedge distance, which flew 40 yds too far into the bunkers on the right . . . l-o-o-o-o-oo-ng bunker shot to the back of the green 3 putt down the treacherous pin location . . . pttthhhhhh.







I think it's a good, if not great layout . . . needs to grow in a little bit . . . which is only to be expected . . . reminded me of Barrandov in Hungary that way . .  . not as tough a walk, but there ARE places, like to start #10 where a walker will know it . . . 8^) . . . Solid 3 on the Scottsdale scale . . . but easily could grown into a solid 2.