Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ber'ovice, Slany, CZ Front 9


Par 72, 6579m(~7100Yds), Slope 137

Berovice looked hilly in the pix I saw on the internet . . . so I was eager to play . . . it WAS a tough walk, but i think it will only improve as a golf course over the next few years as the newness wears off and the strategically plantings mature. It reminded me ofAusterlitz and Balaton in Hungary in that way.

After a rather heavy lunch at the Hotel Hejtmansky in Slany, I toddled over for my round in muggy heat. I found myself in league with 2 golfers and an observer, charming czechs whose names I've forgotten: a young man who complained amiably that his trainer had changed his swing two weeks ago and now he could hardly hit the ball at all, and two young women . . . the golfer was almost expert, the best of the threesome . . .

First hole told me all I needed to know that day: foozle my drive (I never do that anymore), 3 bladed irons, including one into the water, a fat pitch, then a 45 foot putt to salvage a double bogey. Dang.

Mindful of my ineptitude so far, I took an extra club against the wind and j-u-s-t made it over the water on the par 3 2nd. lobbed it up on the green and 3putted for 5. Dang, again.
#3 - don't remember much about this par 5 -- apparently I was playing so bad my photography was forgotten.
#4 a longish par 4 . . . apparently I was taken with the fairway view, as typical, perhaps . . . nice driving vista . . . and apparently I was off in the right rough, again . . .
I would say those are my partners balls, rather than mine . . .
#5, short par 4 . . . good drive, and a foozled wedge . . .floundering
#6 was probably the first good drive I hit, against the wind . . . my partners complimented me, all I could say was I Want More . . . if you see how I mean . . .
#7 is a downhill medium length par 3 . . . not much going on and I didn't play it particularly well, so, well, there you are . . .

#8 seemed to be the first hole I actually played . . . kinduva short par4 . . . not a particularly good drive, into the short rough on the right, sort of on the hill, above the sand trap over there . . . then hit an 8 iron I lost track in the hazy blindness . . . but it wound up 12 ft above the hole. . . missed the birdie.
#9 is a short par 5 . . . looks easy, said I, sad negatory shakes of the heads from my companions . . . there is water, they said . . . I hit a good drive down the middle, but as it turns out that's not good . . . wound up in some gnarly rough . . . tried to just get over the water, but only foozled it to the waters edge . . . 5iron from there to the front of the green and a twoputtpar. easy. like I tho't . . . 8^D . . . just needed the lucky foozle.