Saturday, August 1, 2009

Club Praha Tournaj - B Prvni Misto

Yeh, I did it again. 1st place in the B group, finishing with a 39-50=89 . . . Prizes included a Bohemian Crystal Trophy, a Club Praha Coffee mug, a Club Praha golf shirt, a darkovou kartu (a gift card) to a sushi restaurant, some tees & ballmark tools, and an umbrella . . . I traded the umbrella for some balls instead to a fellow who needed an umbrella . . . 8^) . . .they lowered my handicap to 21 . . . it needs to be 20 or less to get into the A group . . .8^( . . . really, that's more important to me than winning a B flight tournaj . . . but I wanted that coffee cup, B-a-a-a-a-a-d!

Still no birdies in the Czech Republic . . . missed opportunities on: 3,5,6,7,10,11,14, and I mean from an average of 8 ft . . . as close as 4 ft. . . 8^( . . . I can't bore you .. . I can't bore myself with another rendition of how I shot 39 on the front but 50 on the back, except to say that I was unlucky in the extreme on the back, and I putted lights-out (was lucky in the extreme(?)) on the front. . . on the par 3 #3/12, I had come up short of the pin on the back shelf, with the ball rolling back off the steep slope the first time, so I pureed the tee shot the second time over the back, OB, for a double bogey. . . on the par5 #4/13, I made a 6 ft putt for bogey the first time and missed from 12 ft for double bogey the second time. . . on the par4 #5/14 I missed from 8ft from both sides for birdie . . . on the par4 #6/15 I missed birdie from 10ft on the front and bogey from 12ft on the back after blowing a half-wedge over the green . . . on the par4 #7/16 I missed birdie from 22ft on the front, then missed bogey from 15ft, after 3 shots in a bunker filled with bees that hurt my concentration . . .foozled the front shot at the par3 #8/17 for a bogey, then scrambled for a great 4 on the back when my tee-shot hung up on the hill . . . foozled a fairway wood on the par5 #9/18 on the front to cost me a bogey on the front, then came up short on the 4th shot on the back 9 to wind up with a triplebogey . . .

it was just weird to have played so well on the front, and starting the back, to fall apart so incompletely . . . to stop making the putts, leaving them short 3 inches . . . on #12, my double bogey putt stopped on the lip . . . I counted, 1-2-3 and it fell in . . . 8^D . . . my partners were amazed, but the wind was helping me, and I felt I was within the rules . . .

there was weird stuff happening all the time on the back 9, stuff I can't remember . . . like our playing parter Vlast rattled the pin on #6 from 70m . . . ball fell down 6 ft away . . . when he missed his putt (as Kvjetaak & I had both missed ours) he muttered some imprecations in Czech that I did not understand, but would dearly love to be able to draw on when I am similarly provoked . . . 8^D . . .

I was driving the ball lights out still, but wound up in some weird lies . . . in impossibly thick rough on #4, in a cuppy lie in the middle of the fairway on #6, behind a tree on #7, at the top of the 2nd slope by the green on #8, in the dense trees on #9 after landing on the fairway . . .

kvjetaak fell apart completely on the back, losing his concentration . . . on #16 he foozled his drive . . . but he couldn't find his ball . . ."It's in the bunker," I told him . . . "The BUNKER!" he shouted, hybrid in hand . . . I could predict the next 4 shots . . .
foozle in the bunker,
foozle in the bunker,
foozle out of the bunker, but behind him from hitting the lip . . .
great shot back into the fairway . . . 8^D . . .

been there, done that, got the scorecard to prove it . . .

he went into this funk where he was lipping out all his putts. . . really, like 5 of the last 9 holes, he lipped out . . . only ever seen anything like it with him . . .

So, the 2nd time thru #5/14, I used a broken tee for the par 3, then I looked at it after I'd hit and I noticed that the tee was hollow and that there was paper rolled up in it.

I had to get Mrs Kvjetaak, caddying for Kvjetaak, to open it and read it for me, since I did not have my bifocals . . .
I'm not sure these people are worthy of the notice, but here it is, just for the oddity factor of it . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment